Our school dress code is based upon:
• Being practical so as to enable children to participate fully in all school activities
• Good health and safety practice
• Being smart and promoting a positive image of the school
• Being suitable, including avoiding offensive pictures or logos
We feel that this policy will enhance a feeling of pride, belonging and ownership of our school. On a practical note it makes a busy parents life much easier, as it removes the discussion and competition that can surround what to wear each day.
Following consultation with parents, in which over 90% expressed a preference for adopting a school dress code, the governing body have decided that the following items are appropriate as our
• Grey or black skirt, trousers or knee length shorts
• Red gingham checked dress
• Red sweatshirt, jumper or cardigan (Y6 are permitted to wear black if they wish)
• Red or white polo, T-shirt, blouse or shirt
• Black flat heel shoes or trainers (no coloured logos)
Summer Wear: Tops should have short or long sleeves (not straps) to protect shoulders from the sun. We recommend that children bring sun hats with neck protection during summer months. If sun cream is needed, then parents are requested to provide the roll-on type, rather than bottles or tubes, which children are expected to apply themselves. Sandals (neutral colours) may be worn in summer but backless shoes and open toes (e.g. flip flops or mules) are not allowed, as they do not provide sufficient protection.
Winter Wear: Warm, waterproof coat. Flat-heeled, plain black boots are acceptable footwear for winter.
PE Kit: It is essential that children have a change of clothing for P.E.
Indoors: - The children need a pair of black shorts, a white T-shirt, plimsolls or trainers. Most P.E work in the hall is undertaken in bare feet as recommended by The Association for Physical Education.
Outdoors: - As above plus a pair of training type shoes. For cold weather a tracksuit or extra sweatshirt may be worn. Please note our emphasis for a change of footwear from those worn for everyday use in school, to maintain hygiene and help to keep the school building clean. Please provide a plastic bag or boot bag to store dirty shoes.
Whilst some clothes may fit the colour code, they are not deemed to be suitable. This includes the following:
• Items with logos other than the Stokes emblem
• Leggings (alone or under skirts)
• Sports kits (football, rugby etc) are not acceptable except for use in P.E.
• Some clothes make activity difficult or dangerous, thus longer length skirts / dresses, extremely baggy trousers or T-shirts and unduly tight skirts are not suitable
• Cropped tops that reveal midriff and vest tops revealing armpits are not acceptable, and party / dressing up clothes are considered unsuitable except on specified occasions
• Embellishments such as legwarmers
Hair: For health and safety reasons, long hair should be tied back with a plain fastener
Make up / nails: Make up and nail polish are not permitted in school
Jewellery: For health and safety reasons, only stud earrings may be worn. Children must be able to remove these themselves before P.E lessons. Any jewellery other than a wrist watch will not be permitted.
It is expected that parents will:
• Ensure their child/ren attend school in appropriate clothing, as per the dress code
• Ensure that clothes are clean and in good repair
• Ensure clothing is clearly labelled
• Ensure coats, or anything else that the children hang up in school, have suitable loops
Enforcement: In order to promote a whole school approach to the dress code, the governing body has determined that the dress code will be enforced. Any child attending at school who is not appropriately attired will be asked to change into suitable item/s from the school spare supply. Exceptions will not be made as this leads to unfairness and an undermining of the policy. A small number of children not abiding by the school dress code can result in others feeling under pressure to deviate from the code. We feel that this policy will enhance a feeling of pride, belonging and ownership of our school. On a practical note, it makes the life of a busy parent much easier, as it removes the discussion that can surround what to wear each day and minimises peer competition. Updated March 2019
Link to purchase school uniform : Gascoigne Clothing | Corporate Clothing and Work Wear
Password : BlabySPS2018